To complete the traditional classroom observation students in the AT program are required to observe and reflect on three sessions of a class in which one is not a participant. Alternatively, participants can choose to reflect on their current experiences as a Teaching Assistant or Teaching Associate. If you are a Teaching Assistant or Teaching Associate, we recommend that you still choose to complete the traditional classroom observation for your own benefit, but it is not required.
In order to complete a traditional classroom observation you will need to do the following:
- Solicit and secure the agreement of the professor whom you intend to observe;
- Arrange a pre-observation meeting with the professor (see the Classroom Observation form);
- Observe the class on three separate occasions;
- Write a reflection on your experience (see the Classroom Observation form);
- Email your reflection along with the Faculty Verification form to email@example.com.
If you choose to meet this requirement by reflecting on your experience as a Teaching Assistant or Teaching Associate, please see the TA/TAssoc Verification form.
You must submit these materials no later than the submission deadline of your graduating semester (see Submission Schedule).
Please see our "Resources" page for ideas about what makes effective teaching.